About Me

I'm Dani. Foodie. Lover of Beauty and Fashion. Gym and Green Tea Addict. Instagram Obsessed. Legal Eagle. (Sometimes I blog)
a

Monday 10 February 2014

I've been making the conscious effort to eat clean for a couple of weeks now.  I have started a 3 month plan which involves weight lifting, some cardio and clean eating.  Mainly because as always, Christmas took its toll and my waist line wasn't looking its best.  If I am totally honest too, I'd been celebrating pretty much since November too with the engagement, client christmas dos and family and friend catch ups.  I basically ate and drank non-stop badness for 2 and a half months.  Never good. 

I also hardly went to the gym at all during that period, which as a 6 times a week girl before that obviously left me feeling pretty sh*t.

So I am back on it now and enjoying every minute of it. Realistically though, I love food so I have to mix it up a bit to keep it interesting - hence today's recipe.

Pulled Pork and Home Made No Mayo Slaw


This is a good dish if you want to keep your man happy also, as it's healthy but doesn't compromise on flavour.  Takes me right back to all the barbecue restaurants in NYC!

Ingredients

Pulled Pork (makes 4 servings):

Pork Loin (approx 400g)
Garlic Powder (1 tbsp)
Apple Sauce (3/4 cup - unsweetened - if you struggle to find use baby apple food - that's what I do!)
Agave Nectar (3 tbsp)
Chopped Tomatoes (1 tin)
Corn Flour (3tbsp)
Black Pepper (1/2 tsp)
Chilli Powder (1/2 tsp)
Smoked Paprika (1 tbsp)
Chilli Flakes (1/4 tsp)
Salt (1/2 tsp)

No Mayo Slaw (makes 2 large servings):

Two Carrots
1/3 of a White Cabbage
Juice of one Lemon
Agave Nectar (1tbsp)
Salt and Pepper to taste
Onion (optional - I've made with and without - both are nice however this was without)


Method

Pulled Pork:

1.  Save for the pork and flour mix ingredients in a bowl and then once mixed, put in slow cooker.

2.  Trim any fat off the pork and cut in half.  Add to slow cooker and using a large spoon cover with the sauce as best as you can.

3.  Cook on high for 4 hours.  Once done, take the pork out and shred with two forks on a large baking tray.

4.  Add the flour to thicken up the sauce and stir in.  Add the shredded pork into the pot and then cook on low for a further 30 minutes.

5. Serve.

No Mayo Slaw

Whilst the pork is cooking you can prepare the slaw.  It's super easy.

1.  Peel and chop the carrots.  I like them quite chunky but if I have loads of time and don't mind the additional work, sometimes I grate the carrot.  (If you are adding onions definitely grate these).

2.  Chop the cabbage in similar sized strips to the carrots.

3. Squeeze in lemon juice.

4. Add salt and pepper to taste.

5. Add the Agave Nectar.

6. Stir all ingredients together and let sit in the fridge for minimum half an hour.

7. Serve with the pulled pork.


P.S. Another good addition to this would be sweet potato mash!


Categories: ,

1 comment:

I really appreciate your comments and read every single one!