I love the idea of cupcakes, but I find that normal sized ones, with all the frosting can be a bit too much. So I've been wanting to try baking some minis for a while. I finally gave it a go an the results were yummy!!
I slightly adapted a Hummingbird Cupcake Recipe I had to make these - I warn you - it was also slightly messy with all the flour and electric whisking. However, they are delish and a lot less guilt ridden than a large one and therefore totally worth it in my book!!
Here's the process and what you need...
For Cupcakes (makes 12 mini's):-
- 30g plain flour
- 35g caster sugar
- 0.4 tsp baking powder
- 10g unsalted butter
- pinch of salt
- 30ml unsweetened almond milk
- 1/8 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 egg
- 62.5g Icing Sugar
- 20g unsalted butter
- 0.5 tbs of unsweetened almond milk
- 1 drop vanilla extract
- hundreds and thousands
- love heart sweets
1) Pre-heat oven to 170 degrees.
2) With an electric mixer or electric hand whisk, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter until a sand like texture.
3) Then add half of the milk and mix again until incorporated. Note, this will still be a bit 'bitty' at this stage.
4) In a separate bowl, mix the remaining milk, egg and vanilla extract. Add this to the mixture in the first bowl until incorporated and a thick liquid texture.
5) With a teaspoon, spoon the ingredients into the mini cupcake cases until 2/3 full. Do not go any higher as the cakes will increase in size in the oven.
6) Place in oven for 20 - 25 minutes until you can place a skewer into the cakes and they come out clean.
7) In the meantime, mix the icing sugar, almond milk and butter in a separate bowl with electric hand whisk to form thick frosting. DO NOT add more milk as I did - doing so will result in runny icing! Ooops.
8) Then pipe the icing onto the cakes when cooled and add hundreds and thousands and love hearts!
Nutritional info (each mini cupcake) - cals 62, carbs 10g, fat 2g, sodium 1g, sugar 8g and protein 0g